Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dec 2: Baltic Chŗonīcļe: New BUILDING(!!), Investigators, Good stuff...


From: Jordan Argyle
Date: Wed, Dec 2, 2009
Subject: Baltic Chŗonīcļe: New BUILDING(!!), Investigators, Good stuff...

All: Maybe my pedometer has just lost its sensitivity. Anyway, it shows 55,612 (43.37), but I know we walked more than that (we did a lot of walking this week).

Pictures: First one: So last Preparation day we went bowling. And it was cosmic/disco/whatever-you-wanna-call-it bowling. It was way fun!! The member that we had invited didn't come, but we decided to play anyway. Tell ya what--when you have a white shirt on at that place, you glow!
Second: We found another abandoned building, and climbed up on the roof (through that hole you see there). That was fun. And the bus came a little late, so we still made it home on time! That's my companion.
Third: One of the many, not-as-good-as-I-hoped shots of the city from the top of said building.
Last: See that double-decker bus? I've been waiting my whole stay in this city to ride that thing. It finally happened this Sunday, by pure luck. I got to ride a double-decker bus for the first time!! It was kinda cheaply made, so really loud, but way cool!

Q+A: This last week, the work has gone fairly well. We made contact with several people with whom we haven't been able to meet for a while, and had some really good lessons with them. We also talked with a mother who came to church and LOVED it. She said she'd for sure be back next Sunday.
The Z. family are still taking lessons. I don't know if the father is ready to do anything yet, so we may not go as often. Then again, maybe not, because they are having some really hard times right now, so they could use the support. And I love them soooooo much!

Contacting people: one interesting experience was I talked to another guy who studies theology at the university. It's so ridiculous talking to those kinds of people, because they always look at religion abstractly, not seriously (from my experience, anyway), and they still refuse to accept that God can speak to us personally through the Holy Ghost. And when the Holy Ghost tells us something, we can trust 100% that it is truth from God. But they just don't recognize that. I don't get it.
Funnest Experience (this week): Signing the contract for the new church building. That was rad. Also, when knocking, almost every night we got in a door and taught a lesson.
Hardest Experience (this week): I don't know. It may have been telling my landladies that we're leaving at the end of this month. That wasn't fun. Or Thanksgiving, because that's the really big family day in my family, and we didn't even really have a celebration for it. And nobody who is not my parents really said anything, or wrote, or anything. Turns out that after about a year, it's a fact that almost everybody pretty much forgets about you, and just when you're getting into the swing of things all of your support from home (with the usual exception of parents) just drops out from under you. It's very disconcerting. It's a good thing that a few members wished me a happy Thanksgiving, and that I went bowling, otherwise it would have been a very difficult day.

The new building is the same one I talked about before. It's on Debeles iela 42 (but Googlemaps can't find it. It's the red brick building on the corner of Dobeles iela and Pulkveža Brieža, in case you wanted to check it out.)

On that note, I would like to ask you all for suggestions. We are trying to use this new church building both to invite more people to us (to understand us better and to understand what the restored gospel and restored priesthood means for them and their families), and to invite those who have been baptized, but are not currently active, to come back. We will be having what's called an open house, so that people can come and see the church and ask questions and stuff. I just want more people to understand what the Atonement of Jesus Christ means, and that living His gospel (or way of life) enables them to enjoy those blessings available through His Atonement. If you have any ideas, the open house will actually take place next month, so you have plenty of time to send me ideas (this week). Send them to argailins@gmail.com. Thanks!!

Otherwise, I'm stoked to have a new building. All is going forward here. I love you! Keep seeking truth through prayer, study, and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer!
--
Elder Argyle
@..@
(-----)
( >/°¥< )
^^‾\/‾^^

No comments: